I've had my Jet Black iPhone 7 Plus for over a month now so I figured I would share my thoughts so far. This is not a review. If you want an in-depth review then swing a dead cat out on the internet and you will hit several dozen of them. I stood in line on release day for the original iPhone back in 2007 and have owned one ever since. I went from the original iPhone to iPhone 4, then iPhone 5, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s (work provided iPhone) and now the iPhone 7 Plus. Out of all the iPhones I have owned I am by far enjoying the iPhone 7 Plus the most. Here is why:
- This is my first iPhone purchased with Apple Upgrade Program. So, since I don't have to worry about a few scratches and scuffs hurting the resell value I am carrying it with no case. It feels spectacular in the hand. The high polished surface of the Jet Black finish has just enough grip to it that it stays in my hand and looks stunning but is still slim and sleek enough to easily slide in and out of my dress pants front right pocket. That enormous screen all but disappears in my pocket so it's like there is no penalty for opting for the larger phone. It is a joy to carry every day.
- Loving the extra waterproofing. I am able to take it to the beach and out on long bikes rides without having to worry about a rain shower ruining the phone.
- The ear piece of the phone is now a second speaker providing stereo sound and much more volume, making it a much more effective stand alone way to listen to podcasts or make a conference call.
- The camera on this iPhone is amazing. I'm not one to take a ton of pictures, but the pictures I do take come out looking like professional shots (and I am no professional-not even close). With 3 kids and most of my family living out of state I need a camera that can take really nice shots with no effort, so that when I do get the family together I know my iPhone have us covered.
- I'm not missing the physical home button at all (see my previous post for more on that)
- I only slightly miss the headphone jack. My daughter takes drum lessons and I have to hook up my iPhone to studio sound equipment every week so I must use the Apple adapter. I also need the adapter for one of our cars which doesn't have Bluetooth and for the headphones I like to use on airplanes. But the adapter is small, cheap and it works just fine. The rest of the time I use Bluetooth headphones. In my opinion this trade was worth it in order to get the extra waterproofing and to make way for future improvements to the iPhone. I want the iPhone to lead in adopting future technology and sometimes you have to leave old tech behind.
- The phone is lightning fast, even noticeably faster than my 12.9" iPad Pro
Those are the big hitters for my first month with the iPhone 7 Plus. For me what makes this iPhone the best iPhone I've ever owned is all the things I just talked about rolled into one. There is no ONE feature that makes this a must have iPhone. If you are on the fence about whether you should upgrade I'm not sure what to tell you. If you don't have a driving reason to upgrade then you probably shouldn't. But if you really want to upgrade I don't think you will be disappointed.