I guess I don’t use my iPhone and my iPad to watch movies as much as I thought, because tonight when trying to load a movie on my daughter’s iPod I was forced to learn something. How on earth do you squeeze a 4 Gb High Definition (HD) movie purchased in iTunes on to a 8 Gb iPod Touch? Well, you could start stripping out all the unused apps and other misc files that an 7 year old will ask to have added to her iPod and then never use. Or, you could go the easier route and simply download the Standard Definition (SD) version of the movie and load that on the iPod instead. There is an Apple Support Article that will walk you though how to download the SD version of a previously purchased HD movie, but I’ve also listed the steps below:
- Go to the iTunes Store on your computer
- Sign into the store and under “Quick Links” on the right hand side of the screen click on “Purchased”
- Select the “Movies” tab at the top of the page
- Unselect the “Download HD When Available” checkbox at the bottom right of the page
- Press the nifty little download from the cloud icon/button next to the movie you wish to dowload in Standard Defintion (SD)
- Enjoy all the extra space you will suddenly have on your mobile device!